A feminism comic I did for my uni’s newspaper. I wish I had a bit more time to work on it, but I’m pleased with how it came out considering the tight deadline!
There you go, all the anons who tell people to go and kill themselves. It’s pretty easy to find out your identity.
THIS NEEDS TO BE SPREAD, SO THIS BULLSHIT FINALLY STOPS
- One of the first women to start her own independent production company.
- Earned her way to stardom without sleeping with executives for roles.
- Refused to date people for publicity just because 20th Century Fox wanted her to.
- Left 20th Century Fox because she refused to let them get away with treating her badly and paying her a tiny wage, just because of her “dumb blonde” image.
- Was only paid a fraction of her co-star’s wage even though she was the star of the movies and the biggest box office pull, but still went ahead with the movies because she was so passionate about acting.
- Studied method acting at the Actors Studio with Lee Strasberg, who said that she was one of his best students along with Marlon Brando.
- Had a personal library of over 500 books and rarely read fiction - she was desperate to learn and educate herself.
- Was sexually abused as a child but then went on to encourage the sexual liberation of women in the 1950s.
- One of the first people to speak openly about sexual abuse.
- One of the first people to openly support gay rights.
- Supported many charities such as the Milk Fund, March of Dimes, Arthritis and Rheumatism foundation.
- Donated her time and money to these charities.
- Visited orphanages and hospitals on her own time to surprise the people there.
- Married one of the greatest literary minds of the 20th century
- Suffered two miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy and still put on a brave face for her fans.
Sorry, did you say she wasn’t a role model?
marilyn is my biggest role model so don’t even go there
and let’s not forget this
Ella Fitzgerald was not allowed to play at the popular Mocambo, in Hollywood, because of her race. Marilyn, who loved her music and supported civil rights, called the owner of the Mocambo and told him that if he booked Ella immediately, she would take a front table every night. The owner said yes, and Marilyn was there, front table, every night. After that, Ella never had to play in a small jazz club again.
"She was an unusual woman – a little ahead of her times. And she didn’t know it." - Ella Fitzgerald about Marilyn Monroe
OH SHIT YOU JUST GOT SERVED
I got goosebumps reading this. Amazing.
im pretty sure the person made the picture as a joke just to get a reaction and you guys really supplied them with one hell of one omg bless it
Popping someone’s bubble of ignorance and forcing them to deal with reality.
We’ll love you no matter what, lil’ brother
IM JUST LAUGHING SO HARD RIGHT NOW OMFG
The evolution of girl gamers
Boy gamers are so self-centered they act as though women haven’t been playing video games for decades, and then act horrified when the female gamers who have always been there actually become visible and vocal about the rampant misogyny that has infected the gaming world.
Like seriously, how entitled do you have to be that women saying “it sure would be nice if I wasn’t treated like shit while enjoying the games I play” translates to “I must be catered to” when video games have LITERALLY been catered to men for decades?
- 1993 - 64% of girls reported playing video games
- 1996 - "home use had increased for fourth grade girls"
- 1998 - "both male and female adolescents play video games on a regular basis."
- 1999 - "88% of the female college students … surveyed were video game players."
- 2007 - 20-47% of adolescent girls play video games
- 2008 - "94% of girls play video games"
- 2010 - "Forty percent of all game players are women."
- 2012 - "Women 18 or older represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (30%) than boys age 17 or younger"
- 2013 -"adult women are nearly half of all video game players"
I didn’t get all the dates, but I think you can get the point.
Also considered posting my own personal gaming history, but I would’ve had to go back to the 80s for that. e_e
i love sir patrick stewart more with each passing day.
See, guys. This is how you do it. Notice the words “Not all men are like that” are never spoken.
He knows men are like that
his father was like that to his mother
he has experienced the pain firsthand, of what it’s like when men are like that
and he never wants men to be like that again and he fights tooth and nail against the men who are still like that
And moreover, he acknowledges his privilege [as an older white male who is famous/well known] and uses it to speak up. He knows what he is, and he never has to say he’s not like those men he fights against—he never says it, his actions speak loud enough for everyone else to see it.
it’s 2 in the morning and this is hilarious
it is 6 in the evening and it is still hilarious
9:36pm. Still hilarious.
i think about this post most of the day and it’s always hilarious
Netflix took April Fool’s a bit too far this year.
Now that’s just mean
Too soon, man, too soon.
IT’S BEEN 12 YEARS
okay but like could you imagine all the muggle born students coming back to hogwarts after summer break and catching up on what movies they saw, what they thought of season finales, what concerts they went to and off to the side the wizard raised kids are staring at them in confusion and suddenly one of them just whispers
"what the fuck is a nickelback"